Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Board of Directors - Grass Valley Downtown Association
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION AND DUTIES
The Grass Valley Downtown Association is coming to that time of year when we are looking for new faces to join our Board. Elections are once a year and this term we have a few opportunities to serve for 2 or 3 year terms. GVDA is recruiting for an active board of directors and committee members. A board member should expect to give 4 to 10 hours a month to the job. Be positive and optimistic. Leaders set the mood for program volunteers and staff. Start meetings with positive remarks.
The board of directors should be a strong, working board capable of developing and implementing policy to create positive change. The success of a commercial revitalization effort depends largely on the board’s ability to identify and mobilize resources, build volunteer support, develop new leadership, and maintain clear focus on the district’s needs and opportunities.
The board should be a decisive, action-oriented group, small enough to establish a quorum easily and large enough to represent a cross-section of the community.
There are two types of community members that we need on our Board:
- Merchants and property owners in the Business Improvement District (BID). We recruit both retailers and property owners because retailers have a vested interest in the success of a revitalization program and property owners own pieces of the commercial district.
- Associate Members: Historic Preservation Organizations, Accountants, City Liaisons, Financial Institutions, Chambers of Commerce, Community Partners.
QUALIFICATIONS & APPLICATION
If you would like to be considered for the Board of Directors, you must request an application and have the following qualifications:
- If you are a local merchant in the BID, you will need to have been in business downtown for at least one year.
- To be considered as an associate member on the board, you will need to have some history of community involvement or business experience.
- To be on the board requires you to attend the BOD meeting once a month, and also to put in about 4 hours a month of volunteer time, talking to those on your board block list or helping at events.
The GVDA is celebrating over 40 years as an association that represents the interests of more than 200 businesses and 32 years as the oldest, continually recognized California Main Street Program, a program of the National Main Street Center. The Grass Valley Downtown Association provides a body of work that helps maintain a vital downtown, working together with the City and the Greater Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce to bring free events and a positive image to Grass Valley.
Our Broad-based Goals
- Promote downtown as the Heart of the Community and support events and activities that appeal to locals, families and visitors
- Strengthen and broaden downtown's economic base to sustain a financially viable business district that appeals to locals and visitors alike
- Manage an efficient, sustainable and well-respected organization that is recognized as the advocate for Downtown Grass Valley
- Establish a sustainable and diverse funding base to match the organizational programs and operational needs
Our Vision for downtown Grass Valley is that it will be a historic and hip downtown that promises world class shopping, dining and entertainment for both locals and visitors. It will be the premier destination for small town charm with big time entertainment for families and a strong, quality nightlife. As the progressive and visionary heart of our community, downtown will be clean, well maintained, thriving and buzzing with activity day and night, bursting with successful businesses contributing to our local workforce. Exceptional cooperation among all stakeholders will produce a cohesive marketing message that "Downtown is a great place for visitors and locals alike."
EXPRESS INTEREST to be sent an application to apply - thank you!
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: