Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Field Work & Other Opportunities
Sierra Streams Institute (SSI) is a watershed monitoring, research, and restoration group based in the Sierra Nevada foothills in Nevada City, CA.
We have an abundance of volunteer opportunities available--covering a wide variety of activities, experience levels, time commitments and physical demands. Please read through the volunteer options for ones that match your interests and capabilities. No experience needed, training will be provided.
Click the EXPRESS INTEREST button and we will contact you to provide more information!
- Wildlife Monitoring – Opportunities include bird surveys, amphibian surveys, small mammal trapping, game camera trapping, etc.
- Water Quality Monitoring – Occurs in the morning one week per month Monday – Thursday.
- Benthic Macroinvertebrate (BMI) and Algae Collection – Occurs June – October.
- Habitat Restoration – Invasive plant removal, planting native species, watering plants, collecting native seeds, etc.
- Phenology Monitoring – Study of the timing of seasonal life cycle events in plants and animals.
- Macroinvertebrate Identification – Use microscopes to count and identify macroinvertebrates in the lab.
- Water Chemistry Sample Processing
- Education Program Support – Curriculum development, lesson support, be a guest speaker, create materials, etc.
- Fundraising and Outreach
- Data Entry
- Photography and Graphic Design
- Special Talents or Interests – Do you have any particular interests or skills (i.e. GIS, IT skills, Data Analysis) that you would like to offer? If so, Express Interest and we’ll get in touch to find out!
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: