Dinner Kitchen Host - Emergency Warming Center - TRUCKEE
The Emergency Warming Center (EWC), operated by North Tahoe-Truckee Homeless Services, opens on the most severe weather nights from November to April. The EWC provides guests a warm, dry, safe place to stay overnight. Also offered are a warm dinner, breakfast, basic necessities, and connection to services.
The NTTHS Program Manager has basic supplies in the kitchen and Dinner Kitchen Host volunteers lined up to provide meals. Shift is from 5:30-8pm. Warm meals will be provided when possible. Unlimited water, coffee, milk, orange juice, cereal, bread, oatmeal, and donated snacks will always be available.
* Food handler gloves are available in the kitchen but not required, though washing your hands thoroughly and frequently is required.
- Dinner is served from 6-8pm.
- Upon arrival – Check in with staff. They will advise what is being served for dinner. Please wash your hands and put on a mask before handling or serving any food. Mask should be worn throughout your entire shift at the EWC.
- Set-Up: Prep coffee and hot water for tea. Orientate yourself if you are new to the kitchen. Review Guidelines and Procedures and ask staff any questions or concerns you may have.
- Dinner Time: Offer meal to guest with napkin and silverware.
- Continue to prepare and serve coffee, tea, juice, and milk.
- Check refrigerator for leftover lunch meals, fruit, muffins, milk (should all be available to use).
- In the food cupboard you will find oatmeal, black tea, hot chocolate, and snacks for guests to take.
- Volunteers are encouraged to eat dinner with the guests.
- After dinner: Wash dishes in hot soapy water, dry, and put away. Can also use dishwasher, but items must be thoroughly rinsed off before loading.
- Wipe serving areas down with a bleach cleaner or Clorox wipes after lunch concludes. Mask and gloves should be worn during cleaning. Wash hands after cleaning.
- Set up coffee pot for morning.
- Add any necessary notes in NTTHS log – guests needs/food needs/concerns.
- Empty trash can in dining room or kitchen as needed.
- Sweep the kitchen and dining area as needed.
- Once dinner and cleanup is complete, please provide assistance to hosts, staff, and guests as needed.
Click EXPRESS INTEREST below and we'll be in touch! Thank you.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 12+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: